by Joanne Barnes, Linda A. Anderson, J. David Phillipson
Joanne Barnes - Associate Professor in Herbal Medicines, School of Pharmacy, University of Auckland, New Zealand, Linda A Anderson - Principal Pharmaceutical Officer, Medicines Control Agency and J David Phillipson - Emeritus Professor, Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, School of Pharmacy, London
Herbal medicinal products are increasing in popularity in the developed world and continue to be an important healthcare approach in developing countries. However, alongside the widespread use of herbal medicines, there are many concerns about their quality, safety and efficacy. Herbal Medicines provides a comprehensive single source of scientifically rigorous, impartial information on over 150 of the most commonly used herbal medicinal products. This third edition has been extensively revised and updated.
- Full colour throughout, with chemical structures and photographs of the plant and crude drug material.
- 152 monographs, comprehensively referenced, detailing phytochemical, pharmacological and clinical aspects of each herb (uses, dosage, evidence of efficacy, adverse effects, contraindications, use in pregnancy and lactation, drug interactions, etc.)
- New monographs on butterbur (Petasites hybridus), greater celandine (Chelidonium majus), - kava (Piper methysticum) and rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea)
- Monographs on around 20 major herbal medicines substantially revised, including echinacea, evening primrose, ginkgo, ginseng, St John's wort and valerian.
- Product information from over 30 countries including Australia, Germany, UK and USA.
Written by experts in the fields of pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, phytopharmacy, clinical herbal medicines, phytopharmacovigilance and regulation of herbal medicinal products, Herbal Medicines is an invaluable reference text for pharmacists and other healthcare professionals who require evidence-based information on herbal medicines used for treatment and prevention of health problems.
From the reviews of previous editions
'This goldmine of authentic guidance cannot be faulted.'
The Industrial Pharmacist
'...This is one of the best examples so far of a useful guide for physicians and clinical herbalists'
The American Herb Association
'I thoroughly recommend this text for anyone involved in the use of herbal medicines, particularly pharmacists and other health care professionals involved in the uses of herbs for medical treatments.'
Complementary Therapies in Nursing and Midwifery